A Complete Guide to Nowruz - The Persian New Year Celebration
Nowruz, which means "new day," is the Persian New Year celebration. It is celebrated on the first day of spring and marks the beginning of a new year in the Persian calendar. In this guide, we will explore the history of Nowruz, who celebrates it, the traditions and symbols associated with it, and what the haft-sin table represents.
History and Who Celebrates Nowruz
Nowruz has been celebrated for over 3,000 years in the Persian culture. It is also celebrated in other parts of the world, such as Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, and Afghanistan. Nowruz is celebrated on the first day of spring, which usually falls on March 20 or 21.
The Haft-Sin Table
The Haft-Sin table is a traditional Nowruz display that includes seven items starting with the Persian letter "sin." The seven items represent different qualities or concepts, such as rebirth, health, and prosperity. Here are the items that are typically included on the Haft-Sin table:
- Sabzeh - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish, which represent rebirth and growth
- Samanu - a sweet pudding made from wheat germ, which represents fertility and sweetness
- Senjed - dried fruit from the lotus tree, which represents love
- Sir - garlic, which represents health
- Sib - apples, which represent beauty and health
- Somagh - sumac berries, which represent the color of the sunrise and new beginnings
- Serkeh - vinegar, which represents age and patience
Other Symbols of Nowruz
Other symbols that are associated with Nowruz include the color green, which represents spring and renewal, and the Haft-Meva table, which is a table of seven fruits that represent different blessings. Another important aspect of Nowruz is the practice of spring cleaning, which represents a fresh start and the removal of negativity from the previous year.
Nowruz Products at Sadaf
At Sadaf, we are proud to offer a variety of Nowruz products to help you celebrate this special occasion. From the traditional haft-sin items to the delicious sweets and snacks, we have everything you need to make your Nowruz celebration a success. Check out our Nowruz product page to browse our selection and find the perfect items for your celebration.