Doogh is a traditional yogurt-based drink that is popular in many Middle Eastern and Central Asian countries, such as Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, and Azerbaijan. It is a refreshing and thirst-quenching drink that is perfect for hot summer days or spicy meals. In this post, we will explore what doogh is, its ingredients, nutritional benefits, and how it's made.
What is Doogh?
Doogh is a lightly carbonated, savory yogurt drink that is typically made with plain yogurt, water, and salt. Other optional ingredients can include dried mint, cucumber, and sometimes even carbonated water, which gives it a light, fizzy texture. The resulting drink is tangy, slightly sour, and can be quite a refreshing contrast to a heavy or spicy meal.
Ingredients in Doogh
Doogh is made with simple, wholesome ingredients that are widely available. The main ingredients are:
- Yogurt: plain or low-fat yogurt is used as the base for doogh. Some variations use goat or sheep's milk yogurt, which gives the drink a slightly tangier flavor.
- Water: water is added to the yogurt to thin it out and create a drinkable consistency.
- Salt: salt is added for flavor and to enhance the tanginess of the yogurt.
- Mint: dried mint is a popular ingredient that adds a refreshing and aromatic twist to doogh.
- Cucumber: in some regions, chopped or grated cucumber is added to doogh, which adds extra hydration and freshness.
Nutritional Benefits of Doogh
Doogh is a low-calorie, probiotic-rich drink that has many health benefits. It is an excellent source of calcium, protein, and vitamins, and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B12. The probiotics found in doogh can help support a healthy gut microbiome and may even have benefits for immunity and inflammation.
How is Doogh Made?
Doogh is easy to make at home with just a few ingredients. To make doogh, you will need:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried mint
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber (optional)
- Ice cubes
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, water, salt, and mint until well combined.
If using cucumber, add it to the bowl and stir to combine.
Chill the doogh in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, add ice cubes to the doogh and give it a good stir.
Where to Buy High-Quality Doogh?
If you want to try doogh but don't have time to make it yourself, Sadaf offers a range of authentic and high-quality doogh products. They use natural ingredients and traditional recipes to make their doogh, ensuring that you get a refreshing and authentic experience. So, go ahead and try out this unique and delicious drink, and don't forget to choose a high-quality product like Sadaf's doogh to get the best taste and health benefits.
Shop Sadaf Doogh