Khoresh Karafs | Persian Celery Stew
Celery Stew with Meat (Makes 6 servings)
Celery Khoresh is a traditional Persian dish made with meat, celery and herbs. The combination of spices like Sadaf turmeric and herbs like parsley, mint and lime juice, makes it deliciously fragrant and flavorful. The use of Sadaf Grapeseed oil in the recipe gives it an additional nutty and fruity flavor, that makes it stand out from other similar dishes. It's perfect for cold winter days or as a comforting meal.
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. Stew meat (lamb, veal or beef), cut into 1" cubes
- 1/3 cup Sadaf Grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Sadaf Turmeric
- 5 stalks celery, washed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- In a large pot, brown onions and meat in 3 tablespoons of Sadaf Grapeseed oil.
- Add salt, pepper, and Sadaf Turmeric.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and cover. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- In a non-stick frying pan, fry the chopped celery in 3 tablespoons of Sadaf Grapeseed oil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped herbs and fry for 10 minutes longer.
- Add the mixture of celery and herbs, and lime juice to the meat. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours longer, or until the meat and celery are tender.
- Taste the stew and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice.