Persian Koofteh Berenji | Rice Meatballs
This is a traditional Persian recipe which is called Kofta Polo. It's a flavorful and hearty dish that is perfect for a comforting meal. Rice Meatballs are made with a combination of ground meat, rice, herbs, and spices. The dish is cooked in a flavorful tomato-based broth and is typically served with bread.
- 1 cup rice, cleaned and washed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground meat (lamb, veal, or beef)
- 2 cups fresh parsley, finely chopped (or 1/2 cup dried parsley)
- 1 cup fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1/4 cup dried dill)
- 1/2 cup fresh savory, finely chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried savory)
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried tarragon) 2 cups fresh chives or scallions, finely chopped (or
- 1/2 cup dried chives or scallions)
- 1/2 cup Sadaf Grapeseed Oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sadaf turmeric
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon of salt for 20 minutes over medium heat. Drain any excess liquid and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, grated onion, ground meat, parsley, dill, savory, tarragon, chives or scallions, and cooled rice. Mix the mixture thoroughly for about 5 minutes until it reaches a smooth paste consistency.
- In a large pot, brown the 2 sliced onions in the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the tomato juice, water, beef broth, lime juice, turmeric, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Shape the meat paste into balls the size of an orange. Gently place the meatballs into the boiling pot of broth. Cover partially and simmer gently for 45 minutes over low heat, basting the meatballs occasionally with the broth to prevent them from drying out. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Place the meatballs in a bowl and gently pour the pan sauce on top.
- Serve hot with bread. Enjoy!