Sfoof is a traditional Lebanese semolina cake that is sweetened with sugar and flavored with turmeric. It is often served as a dessert or a sweet snack, and is sometimes garnished with nuts or dried fruits. It is a popular treat during Ramadan and other religious celebrations. Sfoof is a simple and easy to make, it can be prepared with few ingredients and it's often enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 2 cups fine semolina flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sadaf Turmeric powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the semolina flour, all-purpose flour, turmeric powder, and sugar. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tsp of sugar in warm water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Add the yeast mixture, oil, and salt to the dry ingredients. Mix well until a smooth dough forms.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a round baking pan with oil.
- Punch down the dough and shape it into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the Semolina Turmeric Cake (Sfoof) warm or at room temperature with a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top.