Zereshk Polo - Saffron Rice with Barberries
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup Sadaf Saffron Rice Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Sadaf Barberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup Sadaf Grapeseed Oil
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh sieve under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the rinsed rice to the pot, and stir in the saffron rice seasoning and salt to taste.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- In a small pan, sauté the barberries with 1 tablespoon of Sadaf Grapeseed oil, until softened and slightly caramelized.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat and fluff it with a fork.
- Stir in the sautéed barberries, slivered almonds, chopped pistachios, and chopped parsley.
- Heat the remaining Sadaf Grapeseed oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, pour it over the rice and stir well to combine.
- Cover the pot and let it sit for about 5 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- Serve warm, garnished with additional slivered almonds, chopped pistachios, and chopped parsley if desired.
Note: Zereshk Polo is a traditional Persian dish and it's best served with grilled meat, chicken or fish. The barberries give a tangy flavor and a beautiful color to the dish, and the saffron, nuts and herbs give the dish a unique aroma and flavor.