Saffron-Baked Lamb Shanks
- 4 lamb shanks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Sadaf olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sadaf ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Sadaf ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Sadaf ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Sadaf ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Sadaf ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Sadaf ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef or lamb broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Sadaf Saffron Threads
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lamb shanks and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the lamb shanks from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and black pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, red wine, diced tomatoes, and saffron threads. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the lamb shanks in a large baking dish. Pour the sauce over the lamb shanks.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the lamb is tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro before serving.
Note: You could also use a slow cooker for this recipe, just put all the ingredients into it and let it cook for about 6-8 hours on low.